Thursday, January 10, 2008

The perfect holiday...

It's 3 a.m.   I've just returned from Scotland and I must admit that I am incredibly sad.  It was the perfect trip and suddenly anything less adventurous is equally less appealing.  Scotland was beautiful, full of history and friendly people.  It was also wet and terribly cold.  But nothing could stop us from exploring the countryside and good friends.  

Day 1:  Glasgow
Dean, Amanda, Trev, Ali, Dianna and me took the train to Glasgow, Scotland's biggest city.  My favourite moment had to be chats and laughs at Strata, a great cocktail lounge where we, ironically, sipped pints.  We then went for a glorious dinner in a room full of chandeliers and gourmet burgers and chips.  



* All photos taken by Trevor Meier

Day 2: Aberdeen
Snow beckoned us to stay close to home.  A wander through Aberdeen and two trips to starbucks led us to Kileu, a great cafe with Trevor's favourite food as of late: crepes.  We sat, had serious and intense conversation (Trevor and my favourite past time) which led to a perusal of Aberdeen's Art Gallery.  It was an impressive collection and Louise Hopkins is a new favourite.  
Day 3 & 4:  Edinburgh
Trev and I headed off on our own to Edinburgh, Scotland's hippest city.  I'm pretty sure I've never seen so many restaurants in one place.  We trekked up the Royal Mile and through Edinburgh Castle.  A fabulous cafe called Always Sunday became our favourite.  I highly recommend the chocolate chip shortbread and hot chocolate eaten while playing Truth or Dare.
Day 5:  Old Aberdeen
Dean, Amanda, Trev and I trekked to Old Aberdeen which included the beautiful University of Aberdeen, Seaton Park and incredibly picturesque neighbourhoods that made me feel like I was in the movies.  Just like Kate Winslet's home in the Cotswalds in The Holiday.  We then had smashingly good burgers - mine Hawaiian - and chips (aka fries or Scotland's salad) and cokes at a great pub I wish I could remember the name of.  Great conversation on church, psychology and family made those chips taste even better.  An evening visit to Gerrard Street Baptist Church capped off a great sabbath.

Day 6: Stonehaven
The small fishing village of Stonehaven paved the way for a romantic jaunt to the Stonehaven War Memorial and Dunnotar Castle.  It was an incredible hike that made Trevor and I reflect how incredibly blessed we are to have the chance to see such sites.   
Day 7:  Aberdeenshire
A lovely lunch with my mates, speed shopping with lovely finds and a fantastically long authentic Indian dinner surrounded a - let's say brisk - walk through Footdie.  Footdie being Aberdeen's original village, quite literally a small town on an incredibly beautiful beach that revealed just how short the original Aberdeeners were.  The doors on each home were oh so hobbit size.  We enjoyed the day so much that we didn't even let the weather stop us.  Here we are as a happy crew of drowned rats...
You simply must go to Scotland if given the chance.  A good chunk of time is certainly required. A huge thank you to Dean and Amanda for the oh so perfect accomodations and being our pseudo travel guides.   I miss you both!

No comments: