Sunday, January 20, 2008

Everything Must Change

Brian McLaren has a new book called "Everything Must Change".  I have not read it yet, though the title intrigues me.  The title presupposes that there is a goal to be met, a standard that, once reached, all is well.

I remember the day I realized I was living for a standard that didn't exist.  Still in my striving days, I remember talking out loud about why I had never experienced freedom, realizing that it was because I was striving towards a personal perfection that didn't exist.  

Though linked to personal standards, McLaren's title tips me towards thinking he is suggesting that there is a communal standard.  I don't think such a standard exists.  A stasis that makes one act worthy and the other not.  A goal that, to be Christian, one must know and constantly work towards.

This is all somehow linked to absolute truth.  Ironically, I believe in absolute truth.  I also absolutely believe that we can't know absolute truth here on earth.  Because sometimes a lie is okay, swearing necessary and stealing just.  Not to mention that none of us can prove anything exists, that we are here right now, that here exists as we know it.  

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I think that striving, while not the point, is still required.  That we all must still strive for ultimate goals that don't exist.  That there are problems that have to be solved.  That the work isn't done.  I suppose that makes all of it about the means, not the end.  Since the end doesn't, in essence, exist.

I still don't know what to do when we realize that there is no standard here on earth. Or how exactly to have hope if any kind of preconceived fake standard isn't possible.   

I guess I should just read the book.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I have said book if you want to borrow it. PS, JUST realized you have a blog. Prepare to be stalked :).