Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ya gotta love it...

Ya gotta love the social media revolution.  I've been debating the merits of this new medium with friends a lot lately.  I've decided that, when you are a smart and responsible person that watches the potential disadvantages, there really aren't many downfalls to it....especially when you are job hunting.

I've been featured on a acquaintance's blog this past week.  Catherine Ducharme leads Outsidein Communications--a strategic brand and communications company.  Thanks to Peter Reek, I met Catherine for about 10 seconds once and saved her business card.  I've always admired her from afar and watched what projects she led.  She then got my networking, do-you-know-of-any-job-opportunities e-mail, and suddenly she's helping me out and I'm helping her out.  Her "employer branding" blog now uses me as an example of today's job seeker.  While I am that 20-something person for only 37 more days, I hope that I'll always be a smart and savvy professional, and I'm eternally thankful for the nod and the help.  

Ya also gotta love the "shout out" encouraging strangers that pop up every so often.  I've just returned from my late afternoon run.  About 20 feet from leaving my apartment to start, a woman passed me on the sidewalk.  She saw my running attire and shouted, "Good! Yes!"  I laughed out loud because I am usually that "weird" person.  I often don't usually have the guts to shout it out.  I liked it so much that maybe I'll just have the guts next time.

When there is so much not to love right now--the economy, the street violence and those tax forms on your desk--it's sweet to love the simple things. Not as a pep talk in the hopes of drumming up warm fuzzies.  But rather to love and express the little things you really feel lift your spirits.  Ya gotta love it.

No comments: